Orthopedic surgery is one of the specialties in which art has been used before all other disciplines. Orthopedic surgery in the last 30 years has witnessed a tremendous development in the use of modern methods of treatment, with the adoption of limited surgical interventions, the use of stem cells, activated cells, gene therapy and other methods of assistance On bone and joint diseases.
Surgical interventions Limited:
Is a surgical method that corresponds to traditional surgery, so that the surgery is performed through a small opening in the skin, and because of the positive effects on the health of the patient has become the focus of the attention of patients over the past years, which led universities and international hospitals to develop a new specialty in orthopedic surgery of this method.
Thirty years ago there was a saying (the greater the wound, the more the surgeon is skilled), but nowadays everyone who uses technology and modern methods of treating patients is considered a skilled surgeon.
What are the objectives of limited surgical interventions?
- Maintain the integrity of body tissues through small openings in the skin.
- Help reduce blood loss during surgery.
- Relieve pain after surgery.
- Lack of swelling after surgery.
- Symptom of the patient to heal quickly.
- The patient stays in the hospital briefly.
- The patient’s response to physiotherapy after surgery.
What recent developments have helped to make limited surgical interventions?
- The tremendous development in fiber optics: This contributed to the introduction of lighting to dark areas within the body is not easily accessible and these places can be inflated by liquids or gases and light from the inside clearly, making surgery easier by binoculars.
Surgical Microscopy: The operations are performed with extreme precision by magnifying the small parts.
- Use of video during operations: Medical instruments are viewed on the display during the operation with ease.
- Use of radial images: where the images are displayed on the screen of the radiology to see the return of fractures and augments the veins or bars inside the bone.
- Using the computer and the three-dimensional axial images: Locate the diseased parts and identify the surgical instruments during the surgery, where the class images of the affected part before the operation and the use of the tomography inside the operating room in order to help the operation in a small surgical openings, Computer technology can be used to implant the screws in the vertebral vertebrae with ease, as well as used for correcting knee warp or artificial joints.
- Use of laser beams: The laser is used by the use of a telescope through a small aneurysm, and the removal of the osteoporosis or discus compressor on the spinal nerve safely without affecting the surrounding tissues and reduce bleeding during the operations.
- Using the OrthoPilot Navigation System
What are the benefits of navigation?
- Incubate the joints in an ideal way to increase the life of the joint and its stability and lack of dislocation.
- Does not need exposure to radiation or class images.
- It can be used in knee joints, hip and sports medicine injuries.
- Like the objectives of limited interventions
- More than 150,000 cases have been conducted worldwide and have proven effective in more than 300 researches. Turkey is one of the most successful countries in this specialization
What is the scope of limited surgical interventions?
Arthroscopy is the intimate friend of orthopedic surgeon. The first to use laparoscopy was orthopedic surgery for knee diseases in 1919. The role of the endoscopy was transferred to all joints of the body such as shoulders, elbow, wrist, hip, ankle and small joints in the hands and feet. , And treatment of spinal diseases. The endoscope is used to tear ligaments, tendons, cartilage and remove any pressure on the tendons, and laser technology can also be used to treat some cases.
- Synthesis of artificial joints: These operations have usually been severely injured, but modern techniques have helped to implant these joints small injuries, which helped the patient to heal a short period of time.
- Treatment of fractures: The main treatment for fractures was the implantation of metal sheets with screws by a large wound, but this changed to the use of ordinary and flexible rails and implanted by very small wounds, and cases where the bars can not be used where the sheets can be created which can be planted By small skin lesions and bolts used to act on the principle of closure and the advantage of these plates that they do not adhere to bone, but there is a distance separated to maintain the integrity of blood vessels associated with osteoporosis.
- Backbone diseases: There has been a quantum leap in the treatment of this important part of the body, which is the cornerstone of the motor system, and contributed to the processes of limited overlap in the treatment of many common diseases, such as:
- Remove the disc.
- Expansion of the spinal cord and nerve exits.
- Install sliding sheets using screws, rods and metal cages.
- Injection with bone cement in the case of fractures.
- Using the endoscopy of the spinal cord through the thorax.
- Treatment of some bone tumors.
- Modification of scoliosis (curvature of the spine) in children.
What are the implications for limited surgical interventions:
- Although this process was done through a small wound, it is a major process inside.
- Exposed to some complications, including large and small as any other process.
- These operations require special equipment and expensive surgical equipment compared with conventional operations.
- Some of these processes need exposure to radiation and this is not found in traditional processes.
- Need skill and training to do.
– Keeping pace with the tremendous development in the manufacture of medical supplies used in the treatment of bone patients
This is evident from the intense competition between companies in providing many types of artificial joints, plates, rails, bolts and supporting materials such as artificial bone and others.
– The use of ultrasound technology in diagnosis and assistance in treatment.
Ultrasound is a useful tool to study the body’s motor system to detect the problems of muscles, tendons, joints and soft tissues. Real-time ultrasounds can be taken to show motion, function and anatomy. The doctor can diagnose many conditions and assess the extent of damage or disease. Ultrasound has been used to diagnose most bone, joint and muscle diseases in Europe and Asia over the last 25 years.
What are the advantages of using Ultrasound on the MRI?
- There are no contraindications in the case that the patient has minerals in his body.
- There are no contraindications when used in patients who have a pacemaker.
- Ideal for patients who are afraid of MRI.
What are the benefits of using Ultrasound to diagnose bone and joint diseases?
- Gives results quite similar to MRI.
- Easy to use in pulling fluid from the joint immediately after the image or injecting drugs into the joint or around the joint.
- Electrassound images can be performed and the patient moves the joint.
- Distinguish between partial and total cutting of shoulder tendons easily and better than magnetic resonance.
– The use of activated cells (PRP): Extracts activated cells from the blood of the patient in specific ways and activated before the injection.
What are the conditions treated by PRP?
Shoulder diseases: inflammation and irritation of tendons that move the shoulder, or tendon syndrome.
- Attachment / wrist / hand diseases: internal and external tendon inflammation.
- Hip diseases: large rotary inflammation, pelvic arthritis with bone defect.
- Knee diseases: Salmonitis, partial injury of the cruciate ligaments and ligaments of the knee joint, rupture of the cartilage of the knee, friction in the knee, knee friction.
- Ankle diseases: Achilles tendonitis, external tendons, torsion of external ankle ligaments.
- Spinal diseases: twisting ligaments, rib problems and arthritis.
– Provide sources of teaching and learning for all orthopedic doctors Any doctor in this age can increase the knowledge and knowledge about any method of surgery by attending the medical conferences available or attend a training course or through the Web easily and easily and this helped to improve the medical care for the patient bone
– Using stem cells
Stem cells are extracted from bone marrow, adipose tissue, or muscle tissue and are used to revive damaged cells in the areas of the spine, cartilage, bone, tendons and ligaments.
– The use of genetic engineering is still in the development stage and if successful and generalized will be a safe haven for complex bone diseases, which can be used in the treatment of joints and genetic diseases affecting bone, bone tumors, in addition to reconstruction cartilage and ligaments